CASE STUDY

FLEX

In 2018, we were working with a customer on the implementation of CRIO for image optimization. During this implementation, we noticed that website we were working on was also showing some bottlenecks that were not related to images. We analyzed this in more detail and presented it to our client in combination with a plan on how to resolve this.

HOW FLEX HELPS

DYNALIGHT ® Flex product is specifically designed to resolve bottlenecks that result from HTML generation, CSS and Javascript. Quite a few Content Management Systems want to generate the HTML for a page dynamically for each request even though the content is mostly static. Using Flex, we can cache the static part of the page and load the dynamic objects separately. This greatly reduces the time to first byte for a page and speeds up the rendering of the page. We also managed to inline a number of small images into the HTML which reduce the number of objects to be loaded and network round trips.

The website in question was also loading a big chunk of Javascript early on and this was also not ideal. We were able to split these objects into two parts, one small file that was loaded right at the start and a second, larger, file that we could lazy load further down on the page.

Flex automatically minifies and compresses all text files like HTML, CSS and JS which makes these files smaller and faster to download. The impact of this is usually not very big but it has the advantage that this no longer needs to be done manually which saves valuable time. It can split and concatenate files and optimize the load sequence with lazy load and defer. If we identify any third-party objects that are required on the page and that are loaded from an origin that is either slow or has a very fluctuating response time, we can store and cache these objects on the primary domain.

Using this functionality, we were able to improve the page load times by over 40% and significantly speed up page rendering. The customer noticed that as a result of these changes, the conversion rate increased by 8-10%, the average number of pages visited increased and the average duration of a visit increased. This had a positive impact on revenue, but the customer was not allowed to share more detail.

Other implementations of Flex showed similar results and resulted in positive feedback from the customer. Our clients appreciated the fact that with Flex, we can automate about 80% of the required optimization and that we don’t hesitate to invest a bit more time and energy to tackle the remaining 20% manually.

Are you interested in how to Lighthouse can optimize your personalized contents?

Let us know and we’ll schedule a meeting to discuss the details.

We would love to stay in touch with you!
Please subscribe to our MAILING LIST